Monday, April 28, 2008

Tornadoe's?

Typically, here in Va, at least the area that I live in, we don't see a tornado, and certainly not one of any kind of significance. That is until today.

Photo courtesy of NOAA.com

Our hospital, Obici Memorial, was hit pretty significantly. One of the outbuildings took what they are calling a direct hit from the tornado. What the Heck? Cars in the parking lot were flipped, there's one photo of a red mustang with a branch embedded into the hood of the car.

Photo courtesy of WTKR TV 3 Viper Doppler



These two photo's are courtesy of WTKR Channel 3 news via Crystal Squires.




There are a lot of photo's of the damage, some showing the path of destruction. Now I've seen tornadoes before, but for some reason, this floors me.

We do get tornadoes here, however, hardly ever one as significant as this one. The worst damage I've seen caused by a tornado here is a storage barn being taken out or a barn roof peeled off. I don't know how big the tornado was. Now there's reports of other tornadoes that hit the area. They are saying that 13 homes are completely destroyed in Suffolk. Another small community called Driver they are saying is destroyed.

A lot of local people have been affected by this. I wonder if there's anything that can be done to help those that were hit so hard.

I had no damage at all. My horses, however are acting like fools. Fighting and being extremely aggressive which is totally out of character for them. Makes me wonder if the storms are over or if they are still on edge.

Something like this makes me appreciate what little I do have and be thankful that I didn't loose everything as some of my neighbors did.

Please say a prayer for those that were affected.

6 comments:

MicBel QH said...

I heard about the tornadoes, I didn't realize they were so close to you though. Glad to hear you are ok!

Elly'sMom said...

I drive past the hospital every day on my way to work. It's about 5 mins from my house. The strip mall that was brand new right across the street, is now leveled. The news reports that there are no known deaths related to the tornadoes.

A State of Emergency has been declared for the affected areas.

Thankfully all are present and accounted for here.

The roads in and out of the area are closed, I think there's only one way to get in or out of this area. Which really has caused some serious traffic issues. It's not a good situation, but hopefully there will be some sense of normalcy by the morning.

They said the tornado was only a F-1. I would hate to see the damage that a larger one would do.

Shirley said...

Leigh, I am so glad you ae safe, I knew the tornado was close to you.

Shirley

Unknown said...

Damn Leigh, thats some shit there. Glad it passed you by but I feel for the ppl it did hit.

THOSE pics are what scare the hell out of me with our storms.

Elly'sMom said...

Those pictures are mild compared to most that I've seen tonight. The beast may have been on the smaller side, but it packed a hell of a wallop. It leveled one area that I used to frequently go to. An old sleepy town called Driver is now flattened, which saddens me, cause it was just a blink and you've missed it type place, but always packed full of hospitality.

I feel so lucky to be able to post anything, a LOT of ppl are without power, without a home, car or any of their possessions tonight, all thanks to that tornado.

I'm trying to find a link to download for you for your puter that will allow you to use it as your "early" warning detector. So far I haven't found any such site, but I am working on it. If nothing else, you need a radio that gets weather alerts. This proves it to me more then Anything!

While at work today, I had a guy come in that insisted that his hand held scanner had to have the weather on it, they all do, but, talk about timing. Perhaps he just "knew" this one was a significant event. David did, even though he doesn't want to admit to it.

I slept through the whole thing. I heard a very loud rumbling outside, but because I had taken a benedryl to get whatever is irritating my skin so badly to calm down, I was passed out hard. At the moment, I didn't care if there was a tornado coming through or not. Makes me wonder about benedryl. Shoot, I'd only taken one. I'm such a whimp!

Hopefully Amy you won't have any tornadoes to worry about this year. They scare me. There's no where to go here. No basement, no shelter to run to or hide from it. No one in this area has a basement, the water table is way to high for that.

I always wondered why they don't hit bigger cities much.

I sure wish whatever is making the weather so screwy would STOP already!

Elly'sMom said...

Thank you Shirley, we are AOK.